Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Why so many Out-of-Order packets

From: "Stefaan Pouseele" <stefaan.pouseele@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 10:35:22 +0200

A good starting point is http://wiki.wireshark.org/FrontPage en specifically the page http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/Ethernet.

HTH,

Stefaan

From: wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Brouillette
Sent: zondag 5 september 2010 0:10
To: 'wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: [Wireshark-users] Why so many Out-of-Order packets

Hey all, I did a scan yesterday and I'm a little discouraged by what I'm seeing. I did a quick scan that rounded up 85,541 packets and of those packets 21,148 are Out-of-Order packets (expert.message == "Out-Of-Order segment"). From what I can see several of the machines on my network are producing these packets. Some of the protocols are TCP, HTTP, SMB, TDS and DCERPC. I tried Googling this issue and saw that capturing packets from a mirrored port can do this. Well, I’m connected to an HP 2610 switch so how do I capture packets on my network without mirroring a port or ports? I'm pretty new to packet sniffing so please keep advanced technical terms to a minimum. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe B