Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Need Help.

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 22:43:08 +0200
On 08/25/2010 04:49 PM, Jayanta.Mukherjee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
All.

How much the below highlighted statement is true ? How can I get the
list of features/advantages that wireshark provides ?

Thanks for the reply in advance.

Hi,

We are installing this software on request of XXXX network team because
they want to make sure that the VPN itself is getting disconnected or
not, which as per our observation is not getting disconnected. The
sniffer software is not going to tell anything more, it will not be able
to provide application traffic information (because it will be
encrypted). So we do not think that is required in this case, which I
told clearly in the call as well, so it is basically to satisfy them,
because they are not seeing your desktop which we can. I hope this
clears your doubt.

Regards,

Hi,

I don't see any highlights.... still the relevant part would be:
"The sniffer software is not going to tell anything more, it will not be able to provide application traffic information (because it will be encrypted)."

This all depends on the details: where the sniffer is installed, how it is configured, etc. The manner in which it is described it seems that it's oke though, since they're looking at the VPN (control) traffic itself, not the payload data.

For more details, see the Wireshark website: www.wireshark.org.

Thanks,
Jaap