Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] how can I filter on traffic that is (a) going in/out throu

From: Greg Hauptmann <greg.hauptmann.ruby@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:01:16 +1000
Hi Martin/all

I've done a little more testing with Wireshark and what I'm seeing is
as following.

ASSUMPTIONS
=========

First in terms of some assumptions for the sake of this example:

 nslookup proxy.mycompany.com
 Name:    proxy.xxx..yyy.mycompany.com
 Address:  10.10.1.10
 Aliases:  proxy.mycompany.com

 nslookup 10.1.1.10
 Name:    proxy3.zzz.aaa.mycompany.com
 Address:  10.10.1.10

WIRESHARK RESULTS FOR GIVEN CAPTURE FILTER
================================

a) "host proxy.mycompany.com" => Does not pickup the browser traffic I
created that transits the proxy.  Again my goal is to find a way to
filter on this.

b) "host proxy3.zzz.aaa.mycompany.com" => Does pick up the traffic BUT
of course I've had to manually type in the actual proxy server.   I
tested with the same browser straight after putting in the capture
filter so the proxy I was handed back obviously didn't change in that
small time (i.e. at other time I would be handed off to
proxy5.zzz.aaa.mycompany.com say for example)

Any ideas on how to get a capture filter working that I don't have to
change, but will filter on any traffic going through any of the proxy
servers that the main DNS server dishes out based on the main
"proxy.mycompany.com" name.

thanks