Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] 802.11 Decryption works under Mac, doesnt work under Vist

From: Ivan Miskevich <ivan.miskevich@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 11:08:05 +0400
Hi Jeff,

No, the Vista is 32-bit.
Attached is Mac and Win about screens.

Thanks, just played thoroughly with all settings in all combinations - finally with some use of "Ignore the protection bit" - it is now decrypted under Win. The universe stability is uncompromised.

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 6:57 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@gmail.com> wrote:
Ivan Miskevich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm capturing traffic from my home Wi-Fi network using MacBook Intel
> laptop in promiscuous mode (802.11).
> I setup 802.11 decryption in Wireshark for MacOS using known SSID and
> passphrase. Decryption works, I'm able to see tcp packets in the packet
> flow, the IP's and contents are real.
>
> The problem appears when I try to open saved pcap files under Windows
> Vista at another laptop. I can't decrypt neither using passphrase+SSID,
> nor by generating PSK key sequence using online tool
> http://www.wireshark.org/tools/wpa-psk.html.
>
> My home network encryption settings are Security type: WPA2-Personal,
> encryption type AES (this is what I observe in "Manage Wireless
> Networks"). The wireshark is the latest downloaded from website.

Is it possible that the Vista version is 64-bit?  Not all of the
libraries Wireshark uses (e.g., for decryption) are available on 64-bit
Windows.  If you cut-n-paste the info from the Help->About menu it can
give a lot of useful information.