Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark does not show all packets

From: "Panagiotis Georgopoulos" <panos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:49:28 +0100

Hello all,

                I am using Wireshark to debug the packets that are received and sent to my wireless interface. I am also using hostapd to create a secure Access Point for other machines to connect to. Some weeks ago I was using madwifi drivers for my wireless card, however I found them to be too buggy and thus I swapped to ath5k and also upgraded my hostapd to version 0.7.2.

These two changes make a difference when I run hostapd that creates the access point. Instead of having my wlan0 as the only wireless interface handler, there is another one being created, called mon.wlan0, that creates the mess. Some packets seem to be sent from wlan0 and others from mon.wlan0 and this makes it very difficult to debug. Therefore I decided to use the pseudo-all interface in Wireshark (version 1.2.1) to see all the packets in one instance of Wireshark. However it seems that some packets are not being displayed  in Wireshark at all!!! I am sure about this because I see replies coming in from another machine that were originated from mine, but  I never see my initial request in Wireshark. It seems that some packets that I sent from that interface are not being shown in Wireshark.

Does anyone have any idea why this happens and how can I solve this problem?

                Thanks a lot in advance,

                Panos