Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] PacketReceivePacket error out on allocating buffer gerater

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 01:36:30 -0700
On Jul 28, 2010, at 3:29 PM, Pushkar Tiwari wrote:

> I have written a piece of code to capture packets at very high speed. I have writen my code using Packet API.
> To gain better performance I tried allocating large buffer using  "PacketSetBuff" API. PacketSetBuff doesn't return any error on allocating buffer greater than 4MB.
> But when I call PacketReceivePacket  to retrieve the packet, the call fails.
>
> Is there any restriction on the buffer that can be allocated? Is there some other wy through which we can allocate higher buffer and get the better performance.
>
> Whats is the kernel buffer size that winpcap allocate by default?

The wireshark-users list is for users of the Wireshark application, just as wireshark-dev is for people developing code for Wireshark.  Neither are the best list for people trying to develop their own applications using WinPcap; the right list is the winpcap-users mailing list:

	http://www.winpcap.org/contact.htm