Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] network monitor 3.4 traces cannot be read

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:41:00 +0100
On 23/07/2010 12:15, Dave Howe wrote:
On 22/07/2010 15:59, Graham Bloice wrote:
For what its worth, I just installed NM 3.4 to capture traffic over an
MS VPN which WinPCap can't handle.  Capture is fine, but NM doesn't
have the protocol decoder I need (DNP3) so I tried to open the file in
Wireshark 1.5.0-SVN-33615 (Win7 x64) and got the error dialog "The
capture file has a packet with a network type that Wireshark doesn't
support. (netmon: network type 0 unknown or unsupported)".

I can make the capture available if folks want, I'm not in a position
to look at this myself at the moment.  I presume the issue might be to
do with the capture being from a VPN adaptor.
My understanding is that the capture format changes if you have more
than one active and selected network connector in the capture, so it can
differentiate between which board produced which packet. I could be
wrong of course :)
Shall I make another capture, this time with my LAN adaptor selected as well as the PPTP one?

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice