Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark Capture Filter Using Offset

From: "George E Burns" <geburns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 11:29:00 -0400
Hello Guy,

I made a few changes to the filter and this one is working:  udp port 53 and (udp[10] & 0xff) = 0x28

Thanks for your input!

George,

From:        Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        Community support list for Wireshark <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        07/20/2010 02:55 AM
Subject:        Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark Capture Filter Using Offset
Sent by:        wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Jul 19, 2010, at 11:37 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

> The UDP header is 16 bytes, so you have to add 16 to the offset from the beginning of the DNS header.  The opcode is in the byte at an offset of 3 from the beginning of the DNS header, so that's an offset of 19 (which is *NOT* 0x2C!), so the filter would be
>
>                  udp port domain and (udp[19] & 0x78) = 0x50

Sorry, that's

                udp port domain and (udp[19] & 0x78) = 0x28

Caring about the query vs. response flag is left as an exercise for the reader.