Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] network monitor 3.3 traces cannot be read

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 00:27:38 -0700
On Jul 20, 2010, at 12:14 AM, Stefaan Pouseele wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> I've seen that behavior too. Attached you'll find a sample capture taken
> with Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4. I've tried to open it with Wireshark
> 1.4.0rc1 with All the frames having a Protocol of UNKNOWN and Info of
> "WTAP_ENCAP = 0".

Everybody trying to read NetMon 3.3 or 3.4 captures should read Stig's mail:

> Sure, try the latest build from the buildbot:
> http://www.wireshark.org/download/automated/

No 1.2 version can read those captures, and 1.4.0rc1 can't read them either.  Support for reading them was checked int othe trunk and the 1.4 branch, so if there's a 1.4.0rc2 release, it will be able to read them (unless the support has to be backed out), and the final 1.4.0 release will be able to read them (again, unless the support has to be backed out; I don't expect it to have to be backed out).

(No, I don't know when there will be a 1.4.0rc2 release or when 1.4.0 will be released.)