Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark for layer 2 ATM traffic?

From: Kok-Yong Tan <ktan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:16:19 -0400

On Jul 12, 2010, at 11:36, Sake Blok wrote:

On 11 jul 2010, at 00:07, Guy Harris wrote:

On Jul 10, 2010, at 2:41 PM, Kok-Yong Tan wrote:

Question:  Can wireshark be used to get any data that would reveal
the cause of the dropped ADSL2 connection considering no layer 3
traffic is flowing and only layer 2 ATM traffic is (supposedly) flowing?

If the problem is at the ADSL layer, the first thing you'd need to do is find some way of capturing traffic at the ATM layer to and from your ADSL modem. That's not a Wireshark issue - that's a hardware issue, and would require either

	1) some sort of passive tap on the ADSL connection

A little googling results in:

http://www.wavetel.fr/en/ NIVA_HIGH_IMPEDANCE_NON_INTRUSIVE_ADSL_ANALYSER_ANALYZER.htm

Which seems to give you all info on the ADSL2 side (physical as well as logical data). I have no clue about the cost...

For anybody who cares, I've just received a reply for the above device from WaveTel. The cost for the device is (are you sitting down?): "approximately 65,000 Euros" (!!!!) and yes it will work in an American lab as that is what it is designed for--it is not designed for field use. I guess that it's not just the little box that they show in the picture but an entire support system as well!!!

--
Reality Artisans, Inc.             #   Network Wrangling and Delousing
P.O. Box 565, Gracie Station       #   Apple Certified Consultant