Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] basic install question

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 13:55:37 -0700
On Jul 13, 2010, at 1:40 PM, Gianluca Varenni wrote:

> WinPcap has no easy way to distinguish between XP64 and 2003-x64.

Wireshark itself does it by looking at the wProductType field in the OSVERSIONINFO structure filled in by GetVersionEx() - on NT 5.2, if it's VER_NT_WORKSTATION, and the processor architecture is AMD64, it assumes it's XP-for-x86-64, otherwise it assumes it's Server 2003.

It does similar things for NT 6.0 (Vista vs. Server 2008) and NT 6.1 (7 vs. Server 2008 R2).

However...

> The newest release of WinPcap (4.1.2) will not show that system information
> panel any more.

...there's probably no need to display that information at all in the installer - the Wireshark installer doesn't.