Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark for layer 2 ATM traffic?

From: Kok-Yong Tan <ktan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 14:13:22 -0400

On Jul 11, 2010, at 13:47, Bill Meier wrote:

Boonie wrote:
The question is: How does the data capture work ?
 displays in Web Browser ?
 outputs on some port ?
 stores to a file ?
 ???

A quick search on the Web didn't find any user manuals for Fritz!Box
modems....

You start the capture via a buton on a hidden page.
(http://fritz.box/html/capture.html). This in fact starts a download. You'll keep "downloading" the file until you use the GUI to stop. This ends the download. The output is a file which can be opened in our favorite tool,
wireshark.

Depending on your choise, you can see the IP frames with or without the DLS frames. If one likes, I could send a small capture file or a screenshot of
the capture page.

Dave

OK: Thanks for the info.

Looking back at the original EMail, the type of ADSL2 modem being used
isn't specified so this info may or may  not be applicable.

I'm the OP. The ADSL2 modem being used is a Broadxent 8012 G2. The ISP uses G.DMT encoding but while this is supposedly an alias for G. 992.1, Fritz!Box seems to split that into "G.992.1 Annex A" and "G. 992.1 Annex B" and nobody at the ISP can tell me which subversion their G.DMT is. I would assume Annex A since Wikipedia seems to indicate that "other countries besides Germany uses it and Germany uses Annex B" but I really hate to "assume" anything.) Moreover, I haven't found a US supplier yet (or even if Fritz!Box makes them for the US market--I'm also concerned about power supply issues). Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

As an aside, from speaking to the ISP's tech support, they tell me that they used to use ZyXEL P-660M models until they moved to Broadxent for some reason (maybe cost? Although at $45 a pop, it isn't *THAT* expensive since the Broadxents are being sold for $99) and the ZyXELs were supposedly a lot more reliable and long-lasting (some as long as 10 years and my issue only started occurring with the Broadxent in the last 6 months--the prior 2 years were trouble- free). Plus, I'm only experiencing the issue at one location while I have numerous other locations with the same ISP and same brand of Broadxent with no such issues (some as long as 5 years). So I'm giving the Broadxent the benefit of doubt right now.
--
Reality Artisans, Inc.             #   Network Wrangling and Delousing
P.O. Box 565, Gracie Station       #   Apple Certified Consultant