Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] how can I show the application/process that was requesting

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 10:40:35 -0700
On Jul 11, 2010, at 3:01 AM, Greg Hauptmann wrote:

> Is there a way with Wireshark, when running it on a Windows PC (say XP, Vista, or Windows 7), a way to have a column which shows the name of the application/process/service that was requesting/receiving the traffic?    For example, it might be "firefox" for some of the internet traffic for example...

Currently, no.

> Or is this just not possible with Wireshark (which uses the WinPCap library under-the-bonnet I think?)

Yes, it uses WinPcap, but that's not the issue.  As far as I know, no packet capture mechanism directly provides that mechanism; I infer from a statement on the Network Monitor blog that Network Monitor, for example, looks up TCP and UDP packets in the OS's TCP or UDP socket tables to *attempt* to relate packets to processes.  Wireshark doesn't do that.