Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] how to handle big files in wireshark

From: Maverick <myeaddress@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 16:10:04 -0400
Thanks for the response , If I break files down into many pcap files is there any way that I can have access to all those broken files. Like if I select follow stream option would it be possible to get streams that are in the other broken files.

Thanks
MK

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jul 9, 2010, at 12:46 PM, Maverick wrote:

> I have huge pcap files in Gbs which I want to analyze using wireshark but wireshark is extremely slow and crashes while opening those files. I tried breaking those files into smaller files but thats not very good solution as I have to open up each file and sometime relationship between files gets lost.
>
> Is there a decent way to handle huge files in wireshark .

For now, the only way is "use a 64-bit version of Wireshark, make sure you have enough disk space/swap space to back up a large virtual address space, and live with the slowness".

There may be changes in the future to reduce the memory requirements, but they're not trivial to make.