Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] SSL or TCP https in capture

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 11:03:23 +1000
Mary,

HTTPS uses SSL as encapsulating and encrypting layer, so for all intents they are the same thing. (It is also often referred to as TLS to make it more confusing).

To see ports clearly in the Packet List pane, you can add a column in the top pane using Edit:Preferences:Column and add the TCP source and/or destination port. (I think this is what you mean by summary).

Alternatively you might be asking how to turn off TCP port name resolution that shows up by default in the "Info" field. In View:Name Resolution just untick "Enable for Transport Layer", and then View:Reload. It will then show TCP port number instead of trying to resolve to service names in the Info field.

Statistics:Conversations:TCP also shows all of the TCP ports used in the whole capture.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx