Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Duplicate IPs

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 14:24:08 +1000
If you have duplicate IPs being detected from ARP requests or responses it will because the same IP addresses is seen having two MAC addresses. Once you isolate the two MAC addresses using this IP address, you will want to look at your switch forwarding database (sometime known as MAC address table or CAM table depending on the vendor). For instance on Cisco switches "show mac-address-table" will show you what interfaces the MAC addresses appear on. While your Core switches might show a lot of this on say trunks going to your edge switches, by repeating this process on the connected edge switch you will eventually find the interfaces that directly connect to the offending devices.

Just remember that this could also be due to a misconfigured proxy ARP configuration on a router or also where redundancy say protocols such as VRRP are being used.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx