Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Adding DSCP column in Wireshark 1.4.0rc1

From: "Keith French" <keithfrench@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:49:03 +0100
One thing I have noticed this morning is that the filter syntax has changed in 1.4.0rc1. In 1.2.x it used to be:-

ip.dscp.value

which did display just the decimal for a packet under this column heading e.g.

46

whereas the new filter syntax in 1.4.0rc1 is:-

ip.dsfield.dscp

and this displays the verbose description for a packet under this column heading:-

Differentiated Services Codepoint: Expedited Forwarding (0x2e)

I have also noticed that the same has happened to the 802.1P COS field when used as a column. It uses the filter syntax of:-

vlan.priority

and this column now displays the verbose value on any packet where the 802.1P Priority is set to decimal 3.

Excellent Effort

Whereas it used to display just the decimal of:-

3

If these columns would need to be unresolved to display the decimal, please could you make this an option? This way it would keep column widths for these two fields to a minimum, whilst still conveying useful information?

Keith French.