Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] How to install text2pcap as a standalone program on linux/BSD

From: Abhijit Kiran V <abhijitvalluri@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 11:20:06 +0530
Hello,

I am making a software packet generator tool that will be incorporated
into a network Operating System that is used on switches and routers.

The aim of this software is to be able to send packets on an interface
and for this, I am using tcpreplay as part of the solution. However,
"tcpreplay" uses pcap files as input from which it reads packets and
sends them out. Instead of this, I want to send my own packets that I
constructed in a hexdump format. Hence, I wanted to use the
"text2pcap" program to convert these hexdumps into pcap format that I
can then send using tcpreplay.

However, after searching on the internet at length, I have been unable
to find any place or website that offers this utility as a standalone
program. I realized that this utility is bundled along with the
"wireshark" program, and so I was wondering if any of you guys know
how to compile this tool as a standalone program on a BSD platform.

Also, I am not sure whether it is appropriate to ask this question in
the "Wireshark-users" mail list and if it should be asked in the
"Wireshark-dev" mail list. Please correct me if this is the wrong list
to ask this question.

Kindly reply to this mail.

Thank you.

Warm Regards,