Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Problems when capturing data with dumpcap

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:08:13 -0400
Oendogan, Osman wrote:
Hi,

when capturing data via dumpcap, we encountered problems with packet dropping. The captured data is written on a named pipe (Solaris 10) from where it is read by our application for further proceeding. We see that when we do something with the data (within the same process where reading from pipe is done), we get the message dropped packages (approx. 10% of the captured packets). Can anyone give us any hints regarding the dropped packages when capturing data with dumpcap?

In general, packet dropping indicates a performance issue.  :)

http://wiki.wireshark.org/Performance has a few comments which may (or may not) be helpful.