Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Packet Dissector - Generate multiple entries in Packet List

From: Gus Ishere <gus.is.here@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:15:17 -0400
Greetings,

I am in the process of writing a protocol dissector in Lua for a proprietary protocol. This protocol can have multiple "subpackets" within a single UDP packet. I have successfully written the dissector for the case when there is only a single subpacket in a UDP packet.

Is there a way for a single UDP packet to produce several entries in the packet list? I think that I would have a dissector for the entire UDP packet, which would then identify the subpackets and pass these through a subpacket dissector. I think this is what would make most sense in analyzing this protocol, but I am open to other methods.

Thank you,
Gustavo