Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Ideas for 10G capture platform?

From: Ian Schorr <ian.schorr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 17:51:09 +1000
I'm also curious.  Although I'm assuming we're in a similar state to
the capture situation with 1Gig Ethernet 8 or so years, where:

- Few NICs could actually receive and process packets at line speed.
- A surprisingly large number of NICs refused to enter passive mode,
and some had problems allocating buffers properly for jumbo frame
handling.
- There were few, if any, inline capture solutions that could capture
bidirectionally, though fiber taps were possible.  Copper taps were
not yet available.
- For extended captures (more than a few seconds), disk speed is a
tremendous bottleneck and nowhere near linespeed+full packet capture
is possible, even with modestly-expensive RAID solutions.
- Host BUS speeds actually became a problem, either becoming a quick
bottleneck when others (NIC+disk) were loosened, or exacerbating them.

...But I have done no testing of my own this time around.

-Ian