Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark needs root privileges?

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 00:02:21 +0200
So, getting back to the original question: "I can't see an interface, unless running as root. Is that normal?". Yes that's normal.
"Is it recommended to run as root, like suggested?". No, it is not.
What you can do is setuid root dumpcap, so that the capture tool has the required privileges, and Wireshark itself runs in the relative safety of your user credentials. Newer versions of Debian packaged Wireshark (1.2.7 and up if I'm correct) even create a seperate usergroup, with just the right privileges, for capturing by dumpcap. You have to add your own useraccount to that group before you can do a capture. So that gives the safest and fine grained control over user network capture. I hope these updates trickle down to Ubuntu quickly and erradicate Wireshark as root.

Thanks,
Jaap

Send from my iPhone