Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark needs root privileges?

From: Anthony Murabito <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 11:37:29 -0400
Yes, this is normal.

-Anthony

On 06/03/2010 11:34 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
Despite warnings about running Wireshark as root, on my Ubuntu 9.10
system the app sees no network interfaces unless I run it as root. Is
this normal? I've googled for "Ubuntu wireshark" and it does seem that
self-styled journalists (blogs) recommend running as root, but I do
not trust them for best practices.

Thanks.