Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Max. MBit/sec ?

From: János Löbb <janos.lobb@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 10:24:50 -0400
Hi Martin,

I am collecting 540000 packets before I stop the capture.  That is about 3 minutes, or so.  The .ksh file on Aix 5.3 is this:

#!/bin/ksh
. $HOME/.profile
export DHSM=`date +%Y_%m_%d_%H`
tcpdump -c540000 -ien8 -w/tmp/tcpdump$DHSM.pcap host sequoia and not bml0028

the bml0028 machine is my Mac from where I ssh to the sequoia box.

The IO Graph has to do some calculation similar to (bits(t+dt)-bits(t))/dt  where t is a given time and dt is a chosen time interval to provide a meaningful result.  Of course I can awk the result and collect how many bits were transferred back and forth via the pipe in a given time interval - let say 1 second - and calculate the "velocity" of the bits at that particilar time of the capture, but IO Graph is already doing it, so I do not want to reinvent the wheel.

So the question is if I can tap into and get the Maximum bit rate for the duration of the capture.

Thanks a lot,

János