Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] standalone packet dissection

From: Zack Elan <zelan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:58:28 -0400

Is it possible to call a packet dissector from external code? Specifically, I’d be calling into the SMB/SMB2 dissectors from C#, though I realize I’ll almost certainly have to write some C or C++ glue code to get them talking to each other.

What I’m trying to do is use the Wireshark dissectors as a reference implementation for automated testing of the SMB library my company is developing (we can’t re-use the Wireshark dissector directly, for both legal reasons – we’re a closed-source, commercial product – and technical reasons).

I’ve read the developer README, as well as the docs on writing a new dissector, and I’ve poked around the epan/dissectors/ directory, but I’m still unsure where to start or how exactly to approach this. Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zack