Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] FW: Merging files duplicate acks & retransmissions

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 08:02:18 +1000
>From reading http://wireshark.askapache.com/lists/wireshark-bugs/200806/msg00042.html it would seem you might be best filtering traffic only coming from one direction before merging (It's a feature I might need to try out and document properly. It would seem to be mostly useful for detecting dropped packets).

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you merge two cap files of effectively  the same data you without doing any other pre-filtering you are going to have a lot of TCP segment pairs having the same SEQ and IP address/ports. Wireshark (as it emulates what a TCP would "think") will by definition interpret them as dups, windows updates and retransmissions depending on the order that the merge produces.

(I haven't seen the compare feature as yet so I am unsure whether you are doing this the right way)

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx