Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] local IPs from pcap file

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 09:53:50 +0200
On 26 mei 2010, at 08:06, Andrej van der Zee wrote:

> I was wondering if there is any way to deduct the local IPs from
> TCP/IP packets in pcap files? IP packets contain src and dst fields,
> but as far as I can see it is impossible to know which IP is bound to
> the host where the pcap file is generated.

If the host that was capturing has:

1)  TCP checksum offloading   *and*
2)  Was sending TCP packets during the capture

Then all outgoing packets from that host will have a bad TCP checksum (because the packets were captured before the NIC could change the checksum value to the proper value).

Cheers,

Sake