Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Vanishing interface

From: M K <gedropi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 20:34:53 -0700
OK.  I have installed 4.1.1 and checked to see if the 'vanishing
interface' problem still happened.  Yes, it does.  But I don't think
that it is largely a Winpcap problem.  I think that I have figured out
what is happening...

My machine has a proxy front end.  After the key exchange, the
TCP/HTTP protocol traffic is forwarded and becomes SSH protocol
traffic.  What I think is happening is that the WAN people are running
multiple DNS queries.  One in the beginning and others later.  Since
the first query produces an IP before I log onto my proxy and the
subsequent query produces a different (yet consistent) IP, they are
dropping the connection.  My proxy is trying to rebound and do another
key exchange, etc. but ultimately, the proxy crashes. Often when this
happens, I have to restart everything.  This is the scenario that I
believe is largely causing the interface to disappear.  The ungraceful
exits.  I believe the problem lies with the extra WAN DNS checks.

I also believe that these WAN activities are causing some malformed
packets as well.

Thanks again