Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Looking for a portable sniffing-friendly hub/switch

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 00:51:14 +0200
On 21 mei 2010, at 00:24, mr.k wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 20 mei 2010, at 16:49, RUOFF, LARS (LARS)** CTR ** wrote:
>>
>>> There are some other issues with the GS105E, which probably make it less of a recommendation than I initially thought:
>>> http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=49571
>>

>> Bummer... I ordered one this morning... let's hope NetGear will release the new FW soon... bc it's still a nice little switch packed with features :-)
>
> Some cool things..
>
> It seems that you dont need to configure the gs105e every time you
> power it up, just plug and go. So Mac guys/gals wont have the burden
> if they carry this around for quick out of the bag monitoring.

True, you can make a default setup that will cover non-vlan tagged connections and maybe a standard vlag tagged link something like:

port 1+2 -> vlan 1
port 3+4 -> all vlans
port 5 -> private vlan (for example vlan 4093 which might not be used often)

mirror port 1-4 to port 5

Still, some situations request a custom config...

> Also the ping issue with vlans seems not to be affecting the one I
> have, and to do monitoring/mirroring you dont need vlans enabled.

Which version FW do you have? I just received my GS105E and it runs version 1.07 which does indeed contain the ping bug :-(
(when pinging from Cygwin, the problem was not seen on the ping responses, just from a trace. Windows 7 does show the ip address of the switch as the ping responder though)

I guess I'll have to annoy the NetGear support until they release v 1.09 which has been beta-tested by someone on the NetGear forum...

Cheers,

Sake