Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Sniffing for multicast traffic

From: Kevin Cullimore <kcullimo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:28:56 -0400
On 5/20/2010 1:12 PM, Sake Blok wrote:
On 20 mei 2010, at 18:45, Kevin Cullimore wrote:

On 5/20/2010 10:08 AM, Ronald Nutter wrote:
I am getting ready to make a change to the network at my company and need to verify what traffic is going over multicast.
I have been able to see existing multicast traffic by using a capture filter net 224.0.0.0/4.  How can I see any multicast traffic that
Is on the network and isn�t using the normal multicast range ?  Havent worked with multicast much, so just trying to be on the careful side.

In order to transmit&  receive multicast traffic using non-standard destination addresses, you'd probably need to modify the protocol stacks of

-The participating hosts' operating system
-The operating systems of all IP-aware intermediate system the traffic would traverse

Sounds expensive, but some corporate interests go to great lengths in order to earn the "non-RFC-compliant" designation.

When faced with a task requiring a comprehensive collection of multicast packets seen on/through a given network/internetwork, I therefore worry far less about out-of-spec traffic such as you describe.
I totally agree, focus on the legitimate multicast traffic, but... if you're really concerned about non-compliant multicast traffic, you could search for it. Let's assume that there are no customized NICs in your company, then for the NIC to process a packet, it needs to be sent to:

1)  the mac address of the NIC for unicast traffic... we're not interested in that traffic in your case
2)  the broadcast address (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff) for broadcast traffic... which we are also not interested in your case
3)  a destination mac-address with the least significant bit set in the first octet for multicast traffic... that's what we can filter on :-)

So, to catch all non-RFC-compliant multicast traffic we can use the filter:

"ether multicast and not ether broadcast and not ip multicast"

Cheers,
Sake
Now, if you're concerned about L2 multicast, a likely source would be Microsoft NLB hosts, and, IIRC, the above filter should do just fine exposing that particular brand of miscreant. In general, eligible IP multicast addresses should be a proper subset of ethernet multicast addresses, although I'd be rather interested to hear if there are exceptions.