Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Sniffing for multicast traffic

From: Kevin Cullimore <kcullimo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 12:45:10 -0400
On 5/20/2010 10:08 AM, Ronald Nutter wrote:

I am getting ready to make a change to the network at my company and need to verify what traffic is going over multicast.

I have been able to see existing multicast traffic by using a capture filter net 224.0.0.0/4.  How can I see any multicast traffic that

Is on the network and isn’t using the normal multicast range ?  Havent worked with multicast much, so just trying to be on the careful side.

In order to transmit & receive multicast traffic using non-standard destination addresses, you'd probably need to modify the protocol stacks of

-The participating hosts' operating system
-The operating systems of all IP-aware intermediate system the traffic would traverse

Sounds expensive, but some corporate interests go to great lengths in order to earn the "non-RFC-compliant" designation.

When faced with a task requiring a comprehensive collection of multicast packets seen on/through a given network/internetwork, I therefore worry far less about out-of-spec traffic such as you describe.

Ron

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
to whom they are addressed.

If you are NOT the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient,
be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
___________________________________________________________________________ Sent via: Wireshark-users mailing list <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Archives: http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-users Unsubscribe: https://wireshark.org/mailman/options/wireshark-users mailto:wireshark-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe