Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] One NIC on public side

Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 14:05:38 -0500
BTW, while I've seen replies on my original question, I'm still hazy on how safe it is to do what I'd like to.

Here is what it looks like.

WAN

Switch (On the public side - This was a hub)

Firewall

Core Switch--Lan side Switches off of multiple firewall interfaces

Server with two Nics running wireshark on it
Nic0 connected inside LAN
Nic1 connected to first switch before firewall

It was suggested that I take all protocols off of Nic1 which would make it safe to have on the public side.
At the time, I was connecting to a hub before the firewall. At the moment, I am connected to the core switch and am using port mirroring.
What I would like to do is to have Nic1 connected to the public side switch, which would have port mirroring.
I ordered a new switch to replace the hub so should have this setup in a few days.

What I'm looking for is input on just how safe this setup is.