Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] One-way conversations

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 18:30:09 -0700
On May 18, 2010, at 4:15 PM, Ben Carbery wrote:

> Is there any way in wireshark to show one-way conversations? I am diagnosing a DHCP issue and want to see what proportion of DHCP requests go answered.

That would require that the BOOTP/DHCP dissector match request and responses, which it currently doesn't do.

It would be useful if it did so, so that you could, for example:

	have the dissection show, for a request, which packets, if any, have responses and, for a response, which packets, if any, have the request;

	show the time between the request and the response, and have a service response time statistic to show average response time, etc.;

	mark requests without responses with an expert info indication;

	show statistics such as the one you're interested in.

You should file an enhancement request at https://bugs.wireshark.org/.