Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Monitoring

From: M Holt <m.iostreams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 18:43:15 -0700
My apologies; I suppose I did not really answer your question.

So, I don't know of a way to monitor only, without saving a capture -- unless you are just going to watch via wireshark live.
That is to say, fire up wireshark or tshark, and just watch the packets go.

If you are on a *nix client, just use tcpdump.

Dumpcap is quit a bit easier on resources, because it does not load display filters, so it can be used somewhat more discreetly.

I think I understand what you are saying, but I don't know of any other way to view packets on the fly without saving them for later viewing.
The "quick view of what's going on", would be either wireshark, tshark or tcpdump, live without saving the packets anywhere.

Hope that helps.

 -- Mike

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 6:28 PM, mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sometimes, I just want to get a quick view of what's going on so monitor for a while but the logging is what seems to use up all of the system resources after a while.

http://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/dumpcap.html