Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] One NIC on public side

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 20:44:23 +1000
Using a hub that runs with ports at half-duplex and a having a PC with a port set at full-duplex *will* cause packet loss. A PC configured to full-duplex has collision detection disabled, so if a collision does occur, the PC will not know about it and not retransmit the lost frame.

This used to be a common problem but is increasingly rarely seen in the wild (because of auth-negotiate being the default on switches, and gigabit NICs which are recommended to be configrued as auto).

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx