Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Filter out a string using a display filter

From: "j.snelders" <j.snelders@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 17:47:41 +0200
Hi Panos,

First question:
You can take a look at The "Filter Expression" dialog box
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html_chunked/ChUseFilterToolbarSection.html
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html_chunked/ChWorkFilterAddExpressionSection.html

Select:
Fieldname: IEEE 802.11 - IEEE 802.11 wireless LAN -> wlan.fc.type_subtype
Relation: ==

You will see Predefined values at the right side of the dialog box.

Or browse to:
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/trunk/epan/dissectors/packet-ieee80211.c?view=markup&pathrev=22102
To find the values search for:  MGT_PROBE_REQ

Second question:
You can open the capture files with Microsoft Network Monitor 3.3 and filter
on "Description"
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f&displaylang=en

Hope this helps
Joan