Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Error while starting Wireshark 1.2.7

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 10:12:48 -0400
Vinod Parameswaran wrote:
Hi Bill (and list),

Thanks for youe response.
To answer your queries, I have downloaded and installed wireshark-1.2.7-2.fc14.i686.rpm from the following URL:

I am not sure how to find the glib2 version on my system. Could you please help me with the command?
BTW, after reading your response, I went ahead and downloaded glib-2.22.5.tar.gz  from the following link:

http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/GNOME/sources/glib/2.22/

I was able to successfully build and install the glib library from the source (configure, make, make install).
However, even after doing so, I get the same error while trying to start wireshark from the command-line.

Could you please point out if I have missed something?

> wireshark-1.2.7-2.fc14.i686.rpm

It appears you are downloading an FC14 Wireshark to use on FC12.
Is there a reason you are doing this instead of using the FC12 version?

In any case building glib2.22.5 isn't going to help. As I noted:

"... I see that g_malloc_n is only
available as of glib2 v2.24."

You would need to build glib2 2.24... (which I'm guessing is what is being used with FC14). You might also need to be very careful about doing this since I expect FC14 is pretty developmental at this point.

> I am not sure how to find the glib2 version on my system.

The way I do this is to enter the following at a shell command prompt:

yum list glib2