Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] RST flag at end of TCP transmission

From: Abhik Sarkar <sarkar.abhik@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 10:22:01 +0400
I think this would also happen if the sender doesn't close the connection properly after finishing communication...

For example, this code (in Java)
public class Test {
        Socket socket = new Socket("www.wherever.com", 80);
        System.exit(0);
    }
}
--> SYN
<-- SYN+ACK
--> ACK
--> RST

While, this code
public class Test {
        Socket socket = new Socket("www.wherever.com", 80);
        socket.close();
        System.exit(0);
    }
}
Would lead to
--> SYN
<-- SYN+ACK
--> ACK
--> FIN+ACK
<-- FIN+ACK
--> ACK

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Don't forget that even though packets might seem to come from a
sender, they might come from an intervening device. If a firewall is
in between a client and server and it doesn't see traffic on that
session for a certain period (say 2 hours) it might delete  knowledge
of that session - and possibly follow up by sending a RST to the
client party.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx