Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Error while starting Wireshark 1.2.7

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 11:22:31 -0400
Vinod Parameswaran wrote:
Hello list,

I would like to seek your expert advice on an error that I see while trying to start Wireshark 1.2.7.

I have installed Wireshark on Fedora Core 12.

When I try to start Wireshark from the command-line, I see the following error:

wireshark: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libwireshark.so.0: undefined symbol: g_malloc_n

I could not get any help after trying to google for this particular error string.

How exactly did you "install" Wireshark on FC12 ??
What is the version of glib2 on  your system ?

Looking at the glib2 documentation I see that g_malloc_n is only available as of glib2 v2.24.

I also note that on my (up-to-date) FC12 that the glib2 version is 2.22.5.

[From the glib2 documentation]

This function is similar to g_malloc(), allocating (n_blocks * n_block_bytes) bytes, but care is taken to detect possible overflow during multiplication.

<snip>

Since 2.24

-------