Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Looking for a portable sniffing-friendlyhub/switch

From: "Boonie" <newsboonie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 20:29:11 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "RUOFF, LARS (LARS)** CTR **" <lars.ruoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Community support list for Wireshark" <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:17 PM
Subject: [Wireshark-users] Looking for a portable sniffing-friendlyhub/switch

During my following web search, i stumbled upon the Netgear GS105E:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Switches/PlusSwitches/GS105E.aspx
which seems to be the perfect fit in terms of size/prize/functions.
It is in fact a mini-switch that can do port-mirroring according to the specs.

The question i have is if anybody already tested this device and can confirm the port mirroring capabilities. Especially i wanted to know if it is possible to mirror outbound only, so as not to disturb the host network.

Lars,

You have found a really nice switch. I had done the same searching as you have and ended up with a real hub which does the job for hobby type of sniffing. But in a production environment a switch is much better.

I'm also interested to hear from people who have used it. Please let us know how it does the job if you might buy one.

Dave