Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] identifying .dwg and .one files in gmail attachments

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:48:40 +1100
If you are talking about Web based Gmail, and users configure their settings to use HTTPS/SSL then it will be encrypted and by definition should *not* be able to identify anything specific about their email attachments. (Of course if your users are able to SSL protect SMTP or IMAP or POP then you are in the same boat).  I would have though for unencrypted Gmail that any attachments should be visible (throuh what ever mechanism they use) possibly obscured by some basic encapsulation.

Your only option in that case is to provide a man-in-the-middle SSL proxy and somehow convince or install the necessary trusted certificate (so it can forge new ones),

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx