Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Immediate ACK from server

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 22:25:29 +1100
Riverbed do have white papers on their technology, but I think you will need to register with their website (if you have them in your WAN you probably have a support agreement and can get access to manuals etc).

Riverbed (like most of the other major players in this space) employ multiple technologies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAN_optimization mentions these in summary. De-duplication (avoiding send the same data twice through locally storing data chunks and sending only a hash has an index), which Riverbed call Scalable Data Referencing or SDR,  is probably the most radical and effective technique they use. But plain-old compression, prepopulation (content delivery) and even TCP tunnelling (hugely increasing TCP window sizes) all have their application.

While most of the techniques are reasonably transparent (where the boxes restore original data and their headers) some are not. This is no different though from something as common-place as a NAT at a firewall. (Many of the vendors including Riverbed allow you to adjust the transparency of the boxes on the network, mainly so you can properly apply standard WAN quality of service or perform application utilisation modelling).

Certainly such boxes can make network troubleshooting "interesting" in some circumstances, however for us network engineers it is important to understand them, and at least be able accept and/or isolate their effect if necessary.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx