Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Memory question

From: János Löbb <janos.lobb@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 16:53:15 -0400

On Mar 25, 2010, at 3:10 PM, Boonie wrote:

2010/3/25 János Löbb <janos.lobb@xxxxxxxx>:

Is there any setting I can change to be able to open the file and work with it ? How folks are doing lengthier captures, like multiple hours ?

Try to use the "use multiple files" option You should limit the files
to 50 or 100 megs. That should do the trick.

If you want to do this for a really long period you should consider
using tshark to write the files.

Dave

Yes, that is I decided to to know.  10 files with 50MB each.

Other question: What do I need to do on the Macintosh to be able to see the man page ?

<snip>
bml0028:~ janos$ man dumpcap
No manual entry for dumpcap
bml0028:~ janos$ dumpcap
File: /var/folders/+-/+-ACK3hJGqqjTkEeMlaXRE+++TI/-Tmp-// wiresharkqEkT0jiXlJ
^CPackets dropped: 0
</snip>

Uhh...  I am running WireShark :-)

So the OS is seeing dumpcap, but nut the man pages.

Thanks,

János