Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Memory question

From: János Löbb <janos.lobb@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:18:06 -0400
Hi,

I thought that when I dedicate a file for the capture, the program will not run out of memory, but rather from time to time writes the captured data to this file. Yesterday I tried to capture as much as I could on a PC with windows XP SP3 on it using WireShark 1.2.6 but after some 20 minutes the program stopped and told it is out of memory. The data was in the file, but even after restarting the PC I was unable to open it. WireShark again posted an out of memory message. Looks to me that Wireshark wants to read all the content into real memory and it fails. The size of the file is 321.9MB. The machine is a 1.4Ghz Pentium 4 with 384MB of RAM

Is there any setting I can change to be able to open the file and work with it ? How folks are doing lengthier captures, like multiple hours ?

Thanks ahead,

János