Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Upgraded wireshark to 1.2.6 but nowold pcapfiles cannot be

From: Kok-Yong Tan <ktan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:31:06 -0400

On 2010-03-24 02:45, Kok-Yong Tan wrote:

Any recommendations?  Can I build the version of libz that predates
this wholesale replacement of gz* functions?  Do you know which one
that was?

I had exactly the same problem you described using Wireshark from
MacPorts (and I've built both versions available: 1.2.6 and 1.3.3).

While I haven't figured out what the problem was, I uninstalled them
and started using the Wireshark MacOSX pre-built binaries instead.
They are available for download here:

   http://www.wireshark.org/download/osx/

Note: I'm currently using the 1.3.3 build.

Isn't 1.3.3 a developer build?

Yes it is (I've been using it for quite a while now without finding
any problems) but you can always install the 1.2.6 binaries.

But if really want the latest development release
you can find it here :)
http://www.wireshark.org/download/automated/osx/

Many thanks. But I think I'll stick with the MacPorts distribution since it builds in a very localized fashion and installs both source, libraries and executables in an easily removeable location: /opt. I've discovered that getting Wireshark to build using the zlib 1.2.3 libraries isn't as horrendously difficult as I'd imagined. I'll let everybody know how it goes (it took me a little while to figure out how to do it as the instructions aren't very clear but my procedure seemed to work and I'm in mid-build right now). And I've verified with the maintainer of the Wireshark port that he, too, had the same issues and that they went away as soon as he rebuilt his copy using zlib 1.2.3 instead of zlib 1.2.4. But I want to test the build for myself since his rebuild was only on Snow Leopard while mine is on Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger (I have multiple machines and want to ensure Wireshark works on all those platforms).
--
Reality Artisans, Inc.             #   Network Wrangling and Delousing
P.O. Box 565, Gracie Station       #   Apple Certified Consultant