Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] jitter calculation example on wireshark wiki

From: "RUOFF, LARS (LARS)** CTR **" <lars.ruoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:20:42 +0100
It is done on the receiver side.
I.e. if we consider an RTP stream direction A-->B, then we calculate jitter for B. For this we analyse all incoming RTP packets to B.

So you need to run Wireshark on the end which recieves the RTP packets.
But since RTP conversations are usually both-ways and if you assume that network jitter is symmetric, then you can do it on either end.

Hope that answers your question,
regards,
Lars