Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] SMB problems when ICMP is blocked?

From: Jens Link <lists@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 22:31:39 +0100
Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> You are preaching to the choir Jens. Once upon a time someone told
> security a fable about all ICMP being the tool of evil hackers. They
> believed it. IPv6 won't affect this network unless IPv4 is deleted by M$
> from all versions of the Windows stack.

Microsoft is heavily using IPv6. I usually don't work with Microsoft
products  but I was told that current Microsoft products will only talk
IPv6 to each other and if they don't have IPv6 they'll tunnel over
IPv4. It's time for a lot of people to a) IPv6 and b) TCP basics. And b)
includes not block each and *every* ICMP packets. No matter if it is
IPv4 or IPv6.

cheers

Jens
| Foelderichstr. 40  | 13595 Berlin, Germany | +49-151-18721264         |
| http://www.quux.de | http://blog.quux.de   | jabber: jenslink@xxxxxxx |