Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] SMB problems when ICMP is blocked?

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 15:46:08 +1100
I'm not aware of Windows using regular ICMP echos (PINGs) to determine whether a remote host is up or not for the purpose of file sharing. ICMP as connectivity as far as I know would not be required, and would only be a trouble shooting tool.

The fact that you said ICMP was blocked would indicate that there is an intervening firewall. I would be looking at whether that is configured appropriately , as far as session idle time and so on.

Also as this is a Wireshark list, you should be using the tool to help research the problem. Look for unexpected RST or FIN packets coming from the server - RSTs might be coming from the firewall.

Also if the intervening firewall is in fact a HA pair, there may be an issue where an active session on one of the pair is not being passed over to the other, resulting in a dropped session.

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99@xxxxxxxxx