Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Hex Offset Needed

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 22:42:29 +0100
Or if your capturing device is capable of interpreting tcpdump style filters (or more accurately, BPF style filters), you could use:

tcp[(((tcp[12:1] & 0xf0) >> 2) + 8):2] = 0x2030

Which in English would be:
- take the upper 4 bits of the 12th octet in the tcp header ( tcp[12:1] & 0xf0 )
- multiply it by four ( (tcp[12:1] & 0xf0)>>2 ) which should give the tcp header length
- add 8 ( ((tcp[12:1] & 0xf0) >> 2) + 8 ) gives the offset into the tcp header of the space before the first octet of the response code
- now take two octets from the tcp stream, starting at that offset ( tcp[(((tcp[12:1] & 0xf0) >> 2) + 8):2]  )
- and verify that they are " 0" ( = 0x2030 )

Of course this can give you false positives, so you might want to add a test for "HTTP" and the start of the tcp payload with:

tcp[((tcp[12:1] & 0xf0) >> 2):4] = 0x48545450

resulting in the filter:

tcp[((tcp[12:1] & 0xf0) >> 2):4] = 0x48545450 and tcp[(((tcp[12:1] & 0xf0) >> 2) + 8):2] = 0x2030

A bit cryptic, but it works, even when TCP options are present (which would mess up a fixed offset into the tcp data).

Cheers,

Sake