Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] TCP Dup Ack Issues with Comcast vs.Cablevision

From: "William Howard" <whoward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 18:45:49 -0800

The round-trip ping times varied from 18ms to 30 ms.  We generated the traffic using www.speedtest.net which is essentially an http file download (jpeg file I believe).  Yes – I understand that it is half-duplex and in best case scenarios we have seen up to 18 Mbps on speed tests.  On a circuit (that is performing properly) or local mini-speed test server, we see somewhere between 15-16 Mbps on average.  Again this assumes we are not experiencing any external interference.

Again – the problem always seems to center on Comcast circuits.  Cablevision (16/2 or greater), Fios (50/20), Time Warner, and other dedicated bandwidth circuits (synchronous up/down speeds) – the TCP Dup Acks do not occur.  I simply do not see them in any quantity (and usually not at all) on other circuits.  The wired speed tests have the TCP Dup Acks but do not have the issue, I believe, due to the connection to the router being full-duplex and 100 Mbps (yes I know the circuit has less capacity but it can handle the extraneous data/duplicates more quickly).

William Howard